CODE OF CONDUCT:
We’re happy that you’ve decided to join us on our Discord, but we must first explain that there are rules you must abide by while you are here, especially while playing games with others through our Discord and our online Conventions.
- Be Kind and Respectful – This should be self-explanatory. Do not insult others or put them down. Do your best to avoid speaking in anger. No cursing, swearing or using ugly words or gestures. No bullying. Be accepting of others.
- Be Prepared – When joining or playing games with others, make sure your equipment works. Make sure you know how to use the communication platform and the board game platform.
- Under 18 gamers – Get Parental/Guardian permission to interact on the Discord as well as when playing games online with us and others you meet here.
- Have Fun! Make new friends!
If you are having a problem with anyone not following these rules or if you are uncomfortable for any reason, contact a Portal Discord moderator with letters in RED or e-mail a Portal Admin (email@example.com)
If you do not follow these rules, an Admin may be notified, and you (and potentially your parents/guardians if you are under 18) will be approached and may be removed from the Discord.
We look forward to meeting you and playing games,
Please read and familiarize yourself with them before joining the Discord, especially the Convention community. Failure to adhere to the guidelines will result in consequences for unacceptable behavior. Special Thanks to BGG and Dice Tower for borrowing this excellent guide from Paizo Publishing so that we could liberally use it.
Discord Community Guidelines
Code of Conduct is specified later on this page. The Code of Conduct applies to the Portal Discord community as well and is included in policies supporting Portal convention events.
Portal Discord Guidelines
The Portal Online Discord is a friendly place where the community and Portal staff can interact. Our community is always growing, and we’ve come up with a few ground rules to consider when posting.
There are all kinds of gamers here on the Portal Discord. Using derogatory labels for other gamers can be hurtful and isolate others who enjoy different styles of play. Disagreements are bound to happen. If you find yourself in a debate on our Discord, focus on challenging the idea, rather than the others in the conversation. Remember that there’s another person on the other side of the screen. Please help us keep it a civil and comfortable space for everyone.
A Separate and Safe Space
There are a lot of very important conversations happening out there and we support them, but we don’t want to bring them into our digital world here. Please refrain as best as you can from any discussion of current events, political topics, medical advice, or anything else unrelated to gaming.
Young Gamers Present
Portal is family-friendly, which means that children under the age of 18 may be present and playing games here. When scheduling/hosting a game, please be sure to indicate the age range for your game. And when choosing to participate in a game/event, please be respectful of the age ranges allowed. Before allowing a child to participate in your game, taking pictures, or recording a session, please get approval from their parent or guardian.
Do not abuse, defame, harass, threaten, intimidate or stalk others on our Discord or its private messaging system. Community members should feel welcome while they’re on the Portal Discord.
Posts or threads made solely to provoke a strong negative reaction or conflict do not contribute to the inviting place we’d like our community to be. Threads with provocative titles will be locked and posts removed as necessary.
While certain language may not be offensive to you, please consider that some words and phrases may have a completely different effect on someone else. Purposefully using profanity/vulgar phrases is not acceptable.
Posts that contain content endorsing hatred or violence on the basis of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, race, religion, sexuality, or for any other reason are not welcome on the Portal Discord.
Creating accounts or aliases claiming to be other community members is considered harassment. Duplicate or multiple accounts may create confusion within discussions on our Discord and hinder our ability to provide optimal customer service.
When posting to the Portal Discord, please use your best judgment when disclosing information about yourself. We try to keep the Portal Discord a safe environment to post. We may remove any posts that reveal sensitive information such as addresses, phone numbers, or real names.
Spam can include cross-posting the same information in multiple channels, repeated advertisements in several channels, or posts containing less-than-helpful content (such as „+1”, „first post”, or „grabbing popcorn”). We encourage meaningful conversations on the Portal Discord and spam posts often counter to this goal.
Please respect the copyrights and trademarks held by Portal, Tabletopia and all other publishers and exhibitors in the industry. Posts that contain copyrighted/trademarked material or links to third party hosting sites containing material that infringes on copyrights/trademarks are not permitted. This includes content that infringes or violates any copyright, patent, trademark, or other proprietary rights of any third party.
Do not advocate or disclose intent to commit illegal activities on the Portal Discord. This includes (but is not limited to) posts that encourage fraud, piracy, or violence. Violating any of these guidelines may result in individual post removal, temporary suspension, or permanent removal from the Portal community. If you have a question regarding any portion of these guidelines, please post to the Discord #moderator-help channel or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember that the above guidelines are not a hard and fast rules for every situation that may arise. These guidelines are subject to change as necessary.
Code of Conduct
We believe that games are for everyone. We are committed to fostering a fun, inclusive, and safe environment for all Portal Discord participants, volunteers, publishers, speakers, media representatives, partner companies, and staff (collectively, „gamers”), free from discrimination for any reason, including age, body size, disability, gender expression, gender identity, nationality, physical appearance, race, religious beliefs or background, sexual orientation, or other differences.
This code of conduct outlines our expectations for gamers’ behavior and consequences for unacceptable behavior. We invite all gamers to help us ensure that the Portal Discord is a safe and positive experience for everyone.
All gamers are expected to be considerate and respectful toward fellow gamers. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Ensuring noise levels are kept to a reasonable level (As the convention and playing online is a virtual event, noise levels refers to background noise from each gamer).
- Appropriate behavior and appearance when appearing on camera among other gamers.
- Using the preferred names and pronouns of other gamers.
- Obtaining permission before photographing or recording other gamers and stopping if asked (in the case of a minor, you must obtain the permission of the minor’s parent or guardian).
- Complying with requests to stop unacceptable behavior.
- Complying with all other VGC policies (including those regarding supervision of minors).
- Alerting moderators and administrators if you notice unacceptable behavior or someone in distress.
- Contacting emergency authorities immediately, if you notice an urgent situation.
Unacceptable behaviors include, but are not limited to:
- Vulgar, intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory, or demeaning conduct (whether verbal, physical, written, or electronic).
- Stalking or following (whether physical or virtual).
- Photographing or recording gamers without their permission (or the permission of a parent or guardian in the case of minors).
- Sustained or repeated disruption of Portal events or interruption of other gamers.
- Inappropriate or unwelcome sexual attention and behavior, including unwanted sexual language or gestures, sharing of unsolicited sexual imagery or sexting, and use of nudity or sexual images in public spaces.
- Illegal activities or acts.
- Inciting any of the behavior above.
- Any other behavior that Portal Administration deems inappropriate.
Reporting Unacceptable Behavior
If you are subject to unacceptable behavior, notice that someone else is being subject to unacceptable behavior, or have concerns that this Code of Conduct are not being followed, notify a Portal Administrator through the Discord #moderator-help channel or the following e-mail addresses as soon as possible:
- Portal Admin – email@example.com
Do not engage the offender.
- You may also contact Portal administrators and staff individually in Discord – Portal Administrators are colored RED in the list of participants. There will always be a Moderator or Administrator on duty for the duration of the convention. The Staff member you contact will escalate any issues to convention management.
- Portal Administrators will take all necessary steps to assist participants in feeling safe, including imposing consequences for unacceptable behavior and making sure that participants feel safe during the convention. We will record a report of any incidents. Incident reports will remain confidential with the exception of criminal matters, which we will report to law enforcement. However, we will take into account any concerns you may have about involving law enforcement.
- In some cases, unacceptable behavior may stop if you clearly say „No” or „Please leave me alone,” or simply leave the situation. In these cases, we would appreciate it if Administrators are still informed to help us identify any repeat offenders.